What is involved in Desktop Virtualization
Find out what the related areas are that Desktop Virtualization connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Desktop Virtualization thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Desktop Virtualization journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Desktop Virtualization leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Desktop Virtualization related domains to cover and 86 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Desktop Virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Desktop Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Check Desktop Virtualization failures and probe the present value of growth of Desktop Virtualization.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Desktop Virtualization process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Desktop Virtualization process available?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Are we Assessing Desktop Virtualization and Risk?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Apple–Intel architecture risks and display thorough understanding of the Apple–Intel architecture process.
– How will you know that the Desktop Virtualization project has been successful?
– Do we all define Desktop Virtualization in the same way?
– What is our Desktop Virtualization Strategy?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Consult on Application software results and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Application software is getting what it needs.
– Can we add value to the current Desktop Virtualization decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– Does our organization need more Desktop Virtualization education?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Recall Application virtualization tasks and catalog Application virtualization activities.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Desktop Virtualization project?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Desktop Virtualization forward?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Desktop Virtualization?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Citrix XenApp results and achieve a single Citrix XenApp view and bringing data together.
– What are the key elements of your Desktop Virtualization performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How likely is the current Desktop Virtualization plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Cloud computing adoptions and check on ways to get started with Cloud computing.
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– Have you considered that incident detection and response can be more complicated in a cloud-based environment?
– How can a small cloud computing consultancy take advantage of the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– What is the future scope for combination of business intelligence and cloud computing?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– If your data is stored abroad whose foi policy do you adhere to?
– What are the usability issues around cloud computing?
– What is the impact of hybrid cloud computing on i&o?
– What are the security concerns with cloud computing?
– What will cloud computing look like in 5 years?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– Defining terms: what is a cloud platform?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– How do I estimate cloud computing costs?
– What is a benefit of cloud computing?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Data as a service decisions and pioneer acquisition of Data as a service systems.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Desktop Virtualization activities?
– Is there any existing Desktop Virtualization governance structure?
– Which Desktop Virtualization goals are the most important?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Analyze Desktop environment outcomes and define what our big hairy audacious Desktop environment goal is.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Desktop Virtualization leader?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Hardware virtualization issues and finalize specific methods for Hardware virtualization acceptance.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Desktop Virtualization strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Desktop Virtualization strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Desktop Virtualization objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Learn from Microsoft App-V outcomes and describe which business rules are needed as Microsoft App-V interface.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Desktop Virtualization does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Desktop Virtualization processes of our organization?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Desktop Virtualization leaders?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Guide Microsoft Windows leadership and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Microsoft Windows.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Desktop Virtualization requirements in detail?
– Is Supporting Desktop Virtualization documentation required?
– What are current Desktop Virtualization Paradigms?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Oracle Corporation failures and assess what counts with Oracle Corporation that we are not counting.
– How do we manage Desktop Virtualization Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How is the value delivered by Desktop Virtualization being measured?
– How can we improve Desktop Virtualization?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Parallels Desktop for Mac governance and proactively manage Parallels Desktop for Mac risks.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Desktop Virtualization delivery for example is new software needed?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Desktop Virtualization? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Desktop Virtualization processes?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Remote Desktop Protocol issues and look at it backwards.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Desktop Virtualization is underway?
– Among the Desktop Virtualization product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Have all basic functions of Desktop Virtualization been defined?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Coach on Remote Desktop Services planning and optimize Remote Desktop Services leadership as a key to advancement.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Desktop Virtualization is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
– How will you measure your Desktop Virtualization effectiveness?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Software as a service risks and observe effective Software as a service.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Desktop Virtualization?
– Is the Desktop Virtualization organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– How do we go about Securing Desktop Virtualization?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Detail Tablet computer results and customize techniques for implementing Tablet computer controls.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Desktop Virtualization opportunities costing us money?
– How important is Desktop Virtualization to the user organizations mission?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Coach on Thin client leadership and perfect Thin client conflict management.
– Do those selected for the Desktop Virtualization team have a good general understanding of what Desktop Virtualization is all about?
– How to deal with Desktop Virtualization Changes?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Facilitate VMware Fusion risks and define VMware Fusion competency-based leadership.
– How do we go about Comparing Desktop Virtualization approaches/solutions?
– How can you measure Desktop Virtualization in a systematic way?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Frame VMware Horizon View management and find the ideas you already have.
– How do we Improve Desktop Virtualization service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does Desktop Virtualization appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How can skill-level changes improve Desktop Virtualization?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Consider VMware ThinApp goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Does Desktop Virtualization systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do we know that any Desktop Virtualization analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Think about Virtual PC failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Virtual PC decisions.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Desktop Virtualization project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Will Desktop Virtualization deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How can the value of Desktop Virtualization be defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Desktop Virtualization Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Desktop Virtualization External links:
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Application Software for Secondary Mortgage Management
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Citrix XenApp External links:
HQDA Citrix XenApp Application Portal
Citrix XenApp 6.0 | FileMaker Community
Cloud computing External links:
Compliant Cloud Computing Simplified – Lumen21
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Data as a service External links:
Data As A Service – Pricing | Octoparse, Free Web Scraping
DaaS: Contact Informatica Data as a Service
Desktop environment External links:
Using vagrant to run virtual machines with desktop environment
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Roel Beijnes | Microsoft App-V and workspace related topics
Microsoft Windows External links:
Changing Microsoft Windows and Office Product Keys
Oracle Corporation External links:
Oracle Corporation (ORCL) After Hours Trading – NASDAQ.com
ORCL: Oracle Corporation – Detailed Estimates – Zacks.com
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) Exposure – Rapid7 Blog
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Install Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses
Download Microsoft Remote Desktop Services …
How to Force Remote Desktop Services on Windows 7 to …
Software as a service External links:
What is Software as a Service (SaaS) – Salesforce.com
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Vendor Management Software as a Service (SaaS) …
Tablet computer External links:
Touchscreen Tablet Computer for Seniors
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy View 32GB Android 18.4″ Wi-Fi Tablet Computer (Black): Electronics
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Thin client External links:
Welcome to the SITSD TN3270 Thin Client Emulator Page
HP Thin Client software and OS | HP® Official Site
Thin Client Citrix Web Portal
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Horizon View External links:
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View
[PDF]Using VMware Horizon View HTML Access – Horizon …
VMware ThinApp External links:
Enabling VMware ThinApp virtual applications for …
VMware ThinApp Blog – Deliver and deploy applications …
Virtual PC External links:
With Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer.
Description of Windows Virtual PC – support.microsoft.com
How to Make a ‘Virtual PC’ on Your USB Device (with Pictures)